San Diego City College has as its highest priority student learning and achievement. The college provides lower division and general education courses that lead to certificates, associate degrees or transfer to a four-year college or university; career technical education programs that meet specific industry needs, upgrade the employment skills of students and fulfill licensing requirements of the state of California as well as contribute to the economic development of our region; basic skills instruction to assist all students in meeting their educational goals; and essential student support services for all students.
San Diego City College is a multicultural institution committed to providing open access to all who can benefit from instruction and to meeting the diverse and ever-changing educational, cultural, and economic needs of the urban core and surrounding communities of San Diego. We are committed to the tradition of academic freedom and responsibility, to employee empowerment, and to maintaining a climate that promotes learning, understanding and respect for students, faculty, staff, community, and the environment.
The following are core tenets of our value system:
- The development of informed, active individuals who will be engaged in the global community, lifelong learners, social justice advocates, and literate in information technology;
- Institutional community involvement, community development and community service;
- Equity, inclusiveness and diversity in all of its manifestations;
- High quality instructional programs emphasizing creative and critical thinking;
- Essential student support services, including co-curricular and cultural activities;
- Environmental sustainability and a campus culture of conservation; and
- A continuous campus-wide cycle of assessment and program review with integrated planning and resource allocation
Student Success - Support improved student learning, achievement of student learning outcomes, course completion, certificate and degree completion, transfer rates, and workforce competencies.
Innovative Approaches - Provide state of-the-art general education, transfer, and career technical programs by utilizing current technologies, innovative teaching and learning approaches, and delivery systems, and academic and student support services which include essential student support services, including co-curricular and cultural activities.
Equity, Inclusiveness, and Diversity - Strengthen and support an inclusive and diverse campus culture which enhances student, faculty, and staff success and closes equity gaps. City College promotes lifelong learning, social justice advocacy, and information technology literacy.
Collaborative & Outreach Ventures - Develop collaborative and outreach ventures that enhance student learning within the college, district and community, public and private agencies, businesses, and industry-- locally, nationally, and globally.
Environmental Stewardship - Strengthen a measurable environmental stewardship effort that implements sustainable practices and educates the campus community.
Institutional Accountability - Demonstrate accountability through the integrated process of assessment, program review, planning, resource allocation, accreditation, and on-going evaluation.
Strategic Planning - Links campus planning to district planning efforts.